Storm season isn't over yet and I'm thinking of waiting just in case another hail storm hits so I'll not have to have roofers out here twice. Am I playing it smart or just trying to avoid the inevitable?
Things to consider:
- How old is your roof? If its over 20 years old you may want to have it inspected, at the least. If there is loose shingles or unseen damage it could result in interior areas becoming damaged.
- Do you live in a high hail area? If the answer is yes, again, waiting might cause structure damage that a new roof would prevent. If the roof is old and been though many hail storms waiting could cause more problems then desired.
- If the roof has been inspected and no trouble spots have been detected, waiting might be a sound decision.
- Northeast Colorado, Sterling and Logan County are known to be areas were hail will hit a few times in the year at least. Storms pass over the mountains and tornado's and hail are well known to those areas. The question might be, should I wash my car now because it might rain tomorrow. I hope your not like me and it starts raining right after I leave the car-wash.
- If a big hail storm hits, how long will it take for the local companies to get to me? There are usually long waiting lists after major hail storms. It is strongly suggested that you use a local roofing company. Waiting for a hail storm to hit before fixing or replacing a roof in a high storm area could likely result in Murphy's Law smacking you right in the face. With a new roof in place there might be spot damage but the integrity of the roof as a whole would be intact. Much easier to fix and you'll be less likely to be tempted by storm chasers offering a good deal but with a shady disposition. The wait is always worth it to use local companies.
- Will my insurance pay for it? That's a good reason to get a quote from a local roofing company that knows how to interact with insurance companies. If you don't have insurance, only you knows if your ready for a new roof or not. Plan ahead.
Because we're not psychic, it would be a grievous error to assume that waiting to do anything would result in a better outcome. Gambling because we think this or that might happen isn't suggested by this author. If something needs done, now is the best time in most cases.